As the title suggests, a friend and I are writing a manga-plot and there is this character that is having the speech disorder - he stutters.
Writing the question directly to avoid confusion.
Afterwards providing some attempts to clarify both what the question is about & details.
Finally I will add Background, and then some Context and References.
How should I write a character - that suffers from a speech disorder (stuttering)?
I'll add some examples below, as the question might seem broad.
Some previous attempts of mine have been:
- To write about how I myself as a stutterer feel (that is, I write on my phone).
- However, other (stutterers) might disagree(everyone is different) other stutterers maybe, don't use any help at all (and talks either way)
- Because we all are different I try to be "inclusive" or, how to put it. I try to make it more "general" Instead of only writing how I myself feel about stuttering.
I have this speech disorder myself, I stutter so much so I write on notepads/my phone and show it to the person instead of talking in real life.
What does this have to do with the question?
It is, that I am unsure how to write the person (not the stuttering-itself).
Context and References
I have tried to search for specifically writing about the speech (disorder) and not the usual, brief stuttering one might get when scared or surprised.
What I actually mean is more like, actually having difficulties(actively struggling) to say the word "wow" or, "really".
A more concrete example
My real name is William. So I often have (major) difficulties saying my own name because of the 'W'.
So I end up just saying
my name is W-www-w (...)
And then - after a few attempts - literally writing on my phone "William" and showing.
But I didn't find any question that is directly about what I am asking.
Note: some might think stuttering appears when there is a stressful situation, like "introduce yourself in front of a class" but, my stutter is, regardless if I am stressed or not. that is, I stutter as much as alone as if I would be in front of a class.
One thing I considered doing is, having the character just write on phone, (in some anime/mangas they write in notebooks so it's - kind of the same but different)
We can also of course use sign language; (both of which has been in manga before)
As a attempt to re-phrase what the question really is asking it is:
- How should I go with writing how the character feels, but so it doesn't feel as a cliche, because I guess writing about myself is not that good (I think?) this is my first question so sorry if trivial parts is missing.
Some references that were (in)directly helpful were:
- Is there such thing as too much concept at a character and how do you know so?
- How does one write a character smarter than oneself?
- Should you always write a strong antagonist?
- How to make sure that you don't end up writing a Self-Insert?