To start with, you have a form of description and furtherance of the intended narrative composed almost wholly of a horribly verbose and impenetrably confusing style known disaffectionately as "Purple Prose" (Somewhat reminiscent of literature translated from the French)

Then you have writing that says what needs to be said.

What is the middle ground, where the writing is interesting and engaging, but not egregiously so like Dwarf Fortress used to be? And is there a name for this, besides "Good style"? I've never noticed anyone call this anything but "Good style" before, and their definitions were somewhat scattered.

Another thing, I don't mean this question to be answered in a subjective manner- I am interested in the facts, like a commonly accepted name for this writing style. This middle part doesn't have to be "Good" either, it just has to exhibit symptoms of both sides without being too far on either extreme.

  • As an aside, the opposite of purple prose is also known as "beige prose" (obligatory TV Tropes warning).
    – F1Krazy
    Dec 15, 2022 at 20:00
  • 1
    No problem, I love TV Tropes
    – ThisKobold
    Dec 15, 2022 at 20:01
  • So do I. It's just kind of a running gag on the network to leave a warning whenever you link to TV Tropes, because it's a massive time sink; someone clicking the link without knowing what they're in for can get stuck there for hours. Heck, I've been using it for years and I still get stuck there for hours. But I digress.
    – F1Krazy
    Dec 15, 2022 at 20:03


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.