Is it acceptable to say something like "[person] pointed out [things] as [things] that [action]" in formal academic writing?

If not, what are some phrases with similar meaning that would be appropriate?

I'm writing in American English.

  • It's not slang or colloquial, it's perfectly fine. Unless you're trying to write in a complicated fashion using as many long words as possible. You can find alternatives in a thesaurus.
    – Stuart F
    May 21, 2022 at 14:44

1 Answer 1


It is acceptable though if you want a potentially "more formal" sounding alternative there are: Identified, reported, highlighted, published. Each of those alternatives have different connotations so you should make sure to use the right one for the scenario.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.