On English Language Learners there was a question about the lyrics "Wake me up inside" regarding the grammatical correctness and meaning of the words. I am wondering if there is a name for this type of expression as a literary technique.

The expression "wake me up inside" is used to refer to allude to the fact that the character is "dead inside". What do you call such a technique?

1 Answer 1


Allusion, as already mentioned in your question. An internal allusion, to be more precise, since we aren't alluding to history, another song, et cetera.

(One might also consider "spatial deixis" or "anaphora", which are technically linguistic terms.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.