Is there an official term to describe a rhyming technique where the first word of a sentence rhymes with the last word of the same sentence?

For example, lines such as

Brian almost got eaten by a lion


Meet by the fields of wheat

where the rhymes essentially envelop the entire sentence.

  • 1
    Me think this is a question for English SE.
    – DWKraus
    Mar 23, 2021 at 20:03
  • 1
    @DWKraus I think this is perfectly on-topic here, as per the terminology tag. It is on-topic for English.SE as well, but that's not a reason to migrate it there.
    – F1Krazy
    Mar 26, 2021 at 17:03

1 Answer 1


I think this is called an internal rhyme. Here’s what I found on Wikipedia.

In poetry, internal rhyme, or middle rhyme, is rhyme that occurs within a single line of verse, or between internal phrases across multiple lines. By contrast, rhyme between line endings is known as end rhyme.


  • 1
    Yes, this is internal rhyme. Mar 27, 2021 at 5:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.