How would you describe a facepalm in a more formal sense?

For example, he rubbed his head with his hand. Or, he rubbed his temples. Basically, my character here is really annoyed at the stupidity of another and so he's sighing and 'facepalming'. Just something better than 'he facepalmed'.

  • 1
    Adding a sigh to a number of hand/head motions could illustrate annoyance. – Tasch Jun 18 at 17:54
  • google.com/… – rolfedh Jun 18 at 18:32
  • Face-palm is an accepted word with a regular dictionary definition. – Jason Bassford Jun 19 at 0:49
  • I don't understand the close votes. Isn't asking how to describe a face palm (without using the term) on topic here? – Llewellyn Jun 20 at 15:49
  • In my opinion, both rubbing "his head" and "his temples" conjure up images that have nothing to do with a facepalm. (To me, the first refers to someone rubbing the top of the head, the second to someone who has a headache.) – Llewellyn Jun 20 at 15:52

A few options:

Bob slammed his hand upwards, almost hurting himself. "Why would you say that Jim?"

Bob rolled his eyes and leaned forward into his hand. "Honestly Jim. Could you have been stupider?"

Similar to what @Derek Lu said: Bob sighed, and rubbed his forehead, thinking of all the reasons of why Jim'sidea wouldn't work.

In dismay Bob brought his hand onto his face. Sighing loudly he turned to Jim - "Shut up. That's really stupid"

In summary:

Say: [Character Name][verb to do with hitting or touching] his face {noise or speech.}

| improve this answer | |

I came up with this: [character name] sighed, and rubbed his [temple/forehead], thinking of all the reasons of why his idea wouldn't work.

You can change that too many different variations.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.