I'm curious to know if this style of writing (pattern) has a name. They can sometimes take up almost a full paragraph giving background about a specific person or subject when introducing them into an article.

"At the Saturday briefing, Dr. Stephen Hahn, commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, co-author of the critically claimed book "XYZ", told us that..."

  • Maybe "journalism"?
    – wetcircuit
    Apr 5, 2020 at 22:49

1 Answer 1


In news writing, it might be called an attribution or background clause or sentence. Reporters attribute a fact or description to a source; that is, they identify a person, publication, document as the source of the information. Those sentences often include background or identifying information, as in the question. I don't believe most reporters have a formal name for that -- a string of non-restrictive clauses with biographical information after referring to a person or source.

  • Thank you! I'm building a pattern recognizer and this is one that kept coming up, but I didn't have a label for it. I'll ask it in journalism, but attribution seems right so far.
    – M4cJunk13
    Apr 6, 2020 at 1:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.