What are these boxes of text called that interrupt the flow of text with some aside type comment?

Warning aside taken from epub documentation


They're usually related to the main body of text, are embedded somewhere nearby in their placement on the page to text holding contextual significance. They're usually a side story, aside, backstory, something attention grabbing like the warning example above. It's usually something a little more beefier than an endnote.

  • What are these boxes called that publishers often format into documents?
  • How are these represented in the ePub format?

These blocks of text that highlight additional or important information are called admonitions in writing. A good readup is presented here. Hope this helps.

  • Is this a well-known use of the term 'admonition'? From the link, it looks to me like it's just a name used by that particular piece of software May 20 '20 at 12:04
  • It is not a common word but that's what we tech writers use. It is not just specific to that software. I should have mentioned that I'm sharing that page only because it has a good definition. I couldn't find much details on the web. Most folks just call it out as "notes, warnings, etc." in as many words! See what I could easily find from Google of some techcomm website (the irony!) and some BSD book: * technicalcommunicationcenter.com/2016/11/04/… * freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/… Jul 21 '20 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.