I am a reader more than a writer, and fantasy is my favorite genre.
I used to write short stories and poems. Some of them are published in magazines and get good reviews.
In 2018 January, I read the complete collection of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson & the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus (10 books in total ) in a single stretch, and got highly inspired.
So, I planned to write my very first novel.
By profession, I am a programmer, and I managed to spend 1-2 hours a day on my writing, and started posting it on a Facebook group as small chapters. The response I got was great. I am a discovery writer. To hook my readers in my story, it becomes necessary to make twists and mysteries often. Many chapters create a lot of questions in the reader's mind.
Almost 75% of my story is written, but I have no idea how to resolve those mysteries I created.
Due to some personal reasons, I was forced to take a break from my writing, and got completely busy in my personal and professional life. I let my readers know this, and now, almost one year later, I still get questions from my readers about the unfinished novel, and requests to complete it.
I have the desire to complete it, but I have three main issues:
- I do not have the inspiration, now, that I had when I started writing the novel.
- When I read my unfinished novel, I understand that it diverged a lot from what I planned to write at the beginning, and it disappoints me. I think it's mainly because my writing got highly influenced by readers' comments.
- I don't know how to resolve the mysteries I created or how to answer the questions I made.
What should I do about this?
These are the options I'm considering:
- Scrap everything and start something new with the same basic idea.
- Start to rewrite the same novel, and hope it gets a normal flow till I find a climax.
- Continue from the last word I wrote in the novel (I have no idea how to do this).
- Do not post on social media until I complete the novel.
- Post each chapter, communicate with readers, and continue writing.
I don't know which is the right decision, or how to make it work. Please help.