My story is set in the US. Would it be believable to the reader if I deviated from the norm that is also supported by demographic data?
How many of the following deviations can I get away with?
- A female character marries an older guy and have a child before she's 23. Assume this happened in the early nineties (we had Palm PDAs then, not smartphones).
- A male character from a well off mainstream family marries and has a child before he's 22.
- a 34-year-old male to enlist in the military (maximum is 35 for Army, 34 for navy and marines).
- A 47-year-old man to have two consecutive children. That is happening in the nineties.
- Finally, a female character falls in love and is to be engaged at age of 20.