I'm applying for graduate school, and I'm considering writing to Professors whose research areas match with what I intend to pursue. I've a Masters' degree and 2 years working experience in a renowned MNC - what would be the best way to introduce myself in the first mail:
- Do I state my credentials first, or do I state my purpose in writing to him?
- How to mention my background concisely, without giving too much details, while at the same time not "underselling" myself?
- What should be the salutation - I know "Respected Sir" sounds archaic, but was wondering if "Dear Professor X" sounded too informal or not!
- I want to give a link to my resume/profile hosted on my website - should I embed the hyperlink, or is it better to write the link in plain text?
- How do I end such a letter - the obvious ones (such as "see you soon" or "till we meet again" are not quite suitable in this case)?
I'm basically afraid of saying too much (causing vexation) or too little (resulting in no response to my missive) - I needed a bit of guidance on that! Its okay if the answer doesn't touch on all my queries - I'm happy for every bit of useful advice that I can get!