I was thinking if is better or worst to read other works that share similar ideas to the story you want to write before you start it or while doing it.
Two quick answers comes to my mind:
- Yes, do it! You're going to know what other authors did and how and at the end of the day, you will get a richer point of view and great influences.
- No, get out! You're going to contamine your mind with other's ideas and it will be more and more difficult to write something purely out of your thoughts.
Some data you might find useful:
- I'm trying to write some science fiction/hard sf/space opera, that kind of stuff.
- 0 experience with writing but I've been feeling a need to write for the past several months.
- It is strictly as a hobby. I do not pretend to be a writer.
- I love reading everything.
Please feel free to ask for any information you consider crucial to give a precise answer. Also, it's my first question here so I will be glad if you can point me how to improve it.