In a research paper, I want to include an illustation from a published monograph, however, to obtain permission from a deceased author with no known living relatives seems to be a problem? The publication was published in 1978. EB

  • I didn't find a tag about obtaining reprint permission. – Monica Cellio Jun 25 '17 at 22:49

Is the publisher of the original article still around? Did the author create the illustration, or someone else? If there's no indication of the copyright holder, I would venture to say you'll be OK using the illustration, with a note fully describing its provenance, your search for someone with rights to it, as well as an invitation for any such person to get in touch. Also, checking with the publisher or editor of your current article would be wise. They may have standards that cover this situation. Thomas Goldsmith Raleigh, N.C.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.