If I write a section of terminology and definitions in academic writing, which is the correct unicode character for the "-"? Is it the dash or is it a hyphen? For example:

CPU - Central Processing Unit. It is the center of the computer and performs calculations.

Should I write my section terminology and definitions similar to the above or can I improve it? More examples

State space - The set of values which a process can take.

RS-232 - Recommended standard 232 (as recommended by IEEE). It is a serial interface for UART

The complete list is available online.

1 Answer 1


I'm not sure if there is an official rule for this, but in all the examples I found online, a dash was used.

On a side note, a section of terminology and definitions is often referred to as a glossary.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.