I'm less than ten thousand words into a piece of fanfiction I'm writing, and I have significantly more than that in notes. Such areas covered in separate documents are:
- General world-building, environmental/culture aspects
- General character notes
- General conflict
- First attempt at combining notes for general reference
- Timeline of events - YEAR | MONTH | DATE | TIME
- Specific conflict (grooming of MC by another character, key moments, revelations etc.)
- Another attempt at combining notes
Worst still, I am constantly taking notes and find myself fighting the desire to spawn another hellish document for other aspects of my story. The world I'm writing for (Harry Potter) is so vast and unexplored that I could spawn novels from tangents of my main story.
I have pruned my notes. I know the key point of my story, what I want to achieve, what I want the reader to take away - but the notes are unwieldy.
Have you any tips on how I can manage these things? So far I'm writing in Notepad for general note taking and transferring that to MS Word organised notes.
Thanks for any help you can provide.