I'm currently using Dropbox to sync and backup my stories (which are generally in LaTeX). However, I've read that it's probably a better idea to switch to a "real" version control system, especially to separate my LaTeX formatting changes (and restructuring) from my content changes.
Assuming that the answer is yes, here are some of my follow-up questions:
- Should I use Hg or git? I currently use git for my programming projects, but would not mind learning Hg.
- Should I host on my server or use a cloud service (GitLab or Bitbucket) private repository for sync and redundancy?
Misc. situational details (may already be mentioned):
- Primarily single-author short stories
- Text is in LaTeX documents
- I've used Dropbox's history feature before to recover from iOS apps not playing nicely with my project's structure.
- I have a VPS I could use for file storage & sync