Some fiction titles put a small block of text listing relevant setting details like the scene's time, date, and location between chapters' section headings and bodies. Heres an example:

Chapter or Section Heading


Body Text…

Does this block of text have a name, and, if so, what is it? I haven't yet been successful in finding any reference material giving it one so far.

  • 1
    I think I know what you're referring to, but for the sake of others', could you include an example of what you're talking about? Mar 21 '16 at 22:17
  • @TommyMyron: Done! Mar 25 '16 at 3:16

I'd probably call it a dateline if it's describing time/date/location. If it's a subheader or describing anything about the content, it's a dek (that's the correct spelling, from journalism, without the C).

  • Thanks a lot! I knew that thing had to have a name of some kind… Mar 25 '16 at 3:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.