I'm writing a guide to give step-by-step instructions to complete some tasks on the computer. At some points, I need to indicate pressing keys on the keyboard; how may I format the letter/symbol to best indicate them as keys?

  • 1) What program are you using? 2) What format will the final product be in? If it's a PDF, you can just find a keyboard font or some other dingbat font which will produce a letter which is visibly a key and not just "a letter." Oct 22, 2015 at 11:51
  • xahlee.info/comp/unicode_computing_symbols.html some unicode symbols related to keyboards such as ↵ ⌘ ⇧ ↹
    – Petit Lama
    Oct 22, 2015 at 12:06
  • @LaurenIpsum Since I did not find tags for any programs, I thought it inappropriate for this SE. I'm using LibreOffice Writer, but will probably find the appropriate alternative if provided Microsoft Word instructions.
    – Oxwivi
    Oct 22, 2015 at 13:15
  • @PetitLama I'm somewhat aware of them, but likely to cause more confusion if used for keys other than command keys for each OS.
    – Oxwivi
    Oct 22, 2015 at 13:16

1 Answer 1


I am assuming that your organization does not have an official style guide, or that this is a personal project. (If you are bound by a style guide, consult it.) I am also assuming that you aren't using a semantic markup already; if you're using a DTD/schema/tool/markdown that already has a notion of "keyboard input", you'd use that unless there's a good reason not to.

The Microsoft Style Guide is a common choice for software companies in my experience. This guide (4th edition, p 91) calls for capitalizing key names but not otherwise formatting them. It gives a list of "official" names of special keys. Keys that are used together are joined with '+'. Correct example according to this guide: Ctrl+Shift+?.

Some companies add bold face to this, e.g. Ctrl+Shift+?. In my experience this is especially common if the documentation also refers to UI elements like menu names. I think the reasoning is that "user-entered stuff" should look the same whether it's Ctrl+Z or File->Open.

I have sometimes seen a hyphen used in place of '+': Ctrl-Z, for example. I don't know the origin of this style.

I recommend against using a fixed-width font. In technical writing this style is usually reserved for console output, code, code elements like function names, and sometimes environment variables -- things you would expect to see in a terminal window, error log, or editor window, in other words.

  • Currently I'm using capitalized fixed-width. I asked with the intention of learning specific key formatting to the the effect of SE's <kbd>, but might as well stick to my current style or change as per your recommendations.
    – Oxwivi
    Oct 22, 2015 at 16:06
  • You make a good point about <kbd> --if the syntax you're using abstracts this away already, you'd follow that. I'll make a small edit to this. Oct 22, 2015 at 16:09
  • Guess I'll look up if the current style does have similar syntax. Otherwise, it will be as I last commented.
    – Oxwivi
    Oct 22, 2015 at 16:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.