I must write a book for the university and I am looking for software. The style that I want is like the books of O'Reilly, Apress or Packt.
- Insert a table of contents (automatic).
- Divide and numerate chapters.
- Insert code. Highlighting (automatic).
- Insert formulas
- Insert notes, warning boxes...
- Insert elements: images, schemas, tables
- Insert a table of figures/images (automatic).
- Insert a index (automatic).
- Custom design: custom layout, fonts, colors...
- Export document: PDF, HTML.
Software/tools that I have considered:
- Microsoft Word
- A markdown editor
- Adobe InDesign
Inconveniences that I have found:
- MS Word is hard for hightligh syntax (?)
- Markdown editors are limited for complex structures (?)
I haven't used LaTeX and InDesign.
Which is the more appropriate software/tools for write a tech book?
Note: I don't have reputation enough for tag correctly this question.