I want to learn to write fiction books (historical and science fiction) in American English. My native tongue is Russian and I speak fluently German, since I grew up in Austria.
My English is good enough for technical or business communication, but I can't express myself in English as colorful as in Russian.
In order to write fiction in English, I need (among other things) to master the language so good that I can "paint" pictures with it (i. e. make use of slang, idioms, have a feeling on how a particular sentence will affect the reader etc.).
I would highly appreciate, if you answered the following question.
What methods (apart from those given below) can I use to learn literary English (provided that I am willing to put lots of effort in this undertaking) so that I can express myself in written English as vividly as in written Russian?
- Read as much good English literature as possible.
- Read and practice "Elements of style".
- Re-read "On writing well".
- Watch lots of American movies.
- Read American newspapers.
- Memorize words from American slang dictionaries.